Thursday, April 1, 2010

MINI-E #250 meets untimely end!










Last night as I was driving home from work on Route 80 in Rockaway I started to smell something burning. I originally thought it must be a smell from outside the car that had infiltrated the cabin but it didn't take long before I realized that wasn't the case and that it was my car! I then felt a strong heat wave coming from behind the seats where the battery pack is so I pulled over, grabbed my important belongings from the glove box and got out. When I looked under there was a lot of smoke but no flames and I realized I didn't shut the car off so I went back in & shut it off. I got back out just in time as the battery pack burst into flames and soon engulfed the entire car. I called 911 and the Rockaway fire department came and took about 25 minutes to put it out.  I made a statement and called my wife to pick me up. I guess The electric car experiment wasn't meant to be. More on this later

UPDATE: I spoke to the fire marshal today and the cause was determined to be an "electrical problem"!   Really?????

BREAKING NEWS: Just in case anyone hasn't figured it out by now, MINI-E #250 is fine. I don't think anyone was really tricked by this April Fools post but if you were I apologize, it was all in good fun. Hopefully I gave my friends over at MINI & BMW a little scare even if for only a few moments. Richard, Hugo, Marian, Nathalie? Anyone have to think about it?  Have a great day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment